Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Propaganda from Teachers, part 2

Okay, so admittedly part one of this topic was on the sarcastic side. Nothing annoys me more than when the "so-called" higher educated establishment tells us commoners that they know more than we do. That somehow they have a special intelligence to accomplish a task that we could never imagine to do (OK, sarcasm is still there, let me try again).

I am educated as a "nurse". Actually, the title "nurse" is protected by law to ensure that anyone who has not completed the educational requirements cannot use the title for themselves - the conviction of the offense comes with a hefty fine. That, I believe, is a good thing. It avoids anyone misrepresenting themselves to a potentially vulnerable people - those who are looking for a "nurse". However, throughout my career I have known people without the diploma who are able to provide nursing far better than some of my own "nurse" colleagues. You see, the diploma is needed to be a "nurse"(just as the diploma is required for the title "teacher"); but the ability to provide nursing (or teaching) to another generally requires ONLY the heart to do it right.

Homecare in Canada is a big deal. That's where the patient's family or friends are taught the nursing skills necessary to keep and care for them at home. These family and friends (when their heart is in it) put a great deal of effort, practice and love into the nursing they provide. I, as a "nurse", have taught the steps involved in the nursing tasks; however it is these non-nurses that have put in the time and diligence to provide the nursing because they love their patient.

Teaching our children at home is the same. I love my children - more than any "teacher" ever could. I want them to grow into real people who can think for themselves; who have all the basics of reading, writing and math but also can find the truths in each situation that may come their way in life. I want them to be people who when choosing where to place their faith will choose with wisdom - not just follow the crowd. It would not matter how devoted a "teacher" in a public school classroom is, that "teacher" does not have the love it takes to raise up my children in this way.

There are some great "teachers" in many different schools (public, private, small, large), but most of the time these great "teachers" only have to concern themselves with the children in their classes for one year. I have been teaching my children for their whole lives, and will continue to do so for the remainder of mine.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
Deuteronomy 6:5-7

1 comment:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Amen! Your last line was so beautiful: "I have been teaching my children for their whole lives, and will continue to do so for the remainder of mine."